[Zlib-devel] What's planned for 1.15?

Mark Adler mark.adler at quest.jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jun 17 14:06:01 MST 2002

On Monday, June 17, 2002, at 03:07  AM, Paul Marquess wrote:
> I'm in the middle of doing a complete rewrite of the Perl interface to
> zlib.
>
> It would helpful if I knew what changes are proposed for 1.15 so that
>
>   * I can plan for including them in my interface.
>
>   * I don't make any changes to my interface that will be incompatible
> with
>     what's coming in 1.1.5.

Paul,

Here are the changes in 1.1.5 that I am aware of.  Jean-loup may have
more.

1. New function: uLong deflateBound(z_streamp strm, uLong sourceLen)
that returns a maximum compressed size for sourceLen input bytes given
the settings for that stream.  It would be called after deflateInit() or
deflateInit2().

2. New function: uLong compressBound(uLong sourceLen) that returns a
maximum compressed size for sourceLen input bytes when using compress()
or compress2().

3. Raw inflate (no zlib header or trailer using negative windowBits) is
now documented in zlib.h, and inflate now no longer requires a dummy
byte at the end to complete raw inflate.

Other changes that are not interface related:

- Added some const's to make a shared zlib library work better.
- Simplified memory allocations in inflate() to make them less frequent
as well as first-in, last-out.
- Increased the speed of crc32() by about a factor of two.
- Fixed an inflate bug on 16-bit machines.

mark